Grupo Kultur Brings Honduran Fashion to Halfstack

Hello Readers! 

The Halfstack team has partnered up with Honduran based Fashion, Cultural and Event website and digital brand: Grupo Kultur! We will be working together to add an international touch to our Fashion sections and to cross promote their beautifully curated platform. As enthusiasts of arts, fashion and culture living in Honduras, Grupo Kultur feels the responsibility to be aware of their  surroundings and to generate a positive effect in Honduran development. 


Grupo Kultur aims to create spaces for cultural and artistic expression with the purpose of improving and dignifying life in Honduras using as its main core value the inclusion of equitable gender roles and the strengthening of democratic ideals. They'll be working with Halfstack to showcase Honduran fashion, art and culture in the coming months. For this first column, Development Director: Amy Campos shares an interview written by: Daniela Fortín Pineda with Marysabel Medina, a Honduran Designer, about her line and her creative process. 

Meet the Designer: Marysabel Medina 
Written by: Daniela Fortín Pineda 

Marysabel Medina is a Honduran designer who has stood out for her variety of distinguished and sophisticated dresses. She has been involved in the Honduran fashion world for many years and has dazzled us with her designs. She specializes in making evening dresses and bridal gowns. She is a hardworking, creative woman, and on this occasion we had the pleasure of interviewing her and learn more about her creative process.


1. When did you know you wanted to become a fashion designer?

I have always worked with my mother since I was a child, so I think I knew since then, when I was around 5 or 6 years old. My mother always sewed, and I was her assistant. Since I was young she introduced me to the sewing machine; I used to sit down and sew strips of fabric when she wasn’t using it. I believe it’s just one of those things I was born with. Then when I was about 19 or 20 years old, I started getting my own clientele and thus, my mother started working for me. Because to keep herself up to date with fashion she used to say, "Come, attend this customer, Come show me how to do this".

2. What things inspire you?

I really like to draw special attention to the female figure, highlight the femininity of women, and showcase comfort and elegance. While always trying to follow the trends, we should remember that in the fashion world, everything is already invented. In recent years fashion is a mix of previous decades. Then as a designer, one must always be attentive to trends, adapting to the place where one lives, while being conscious of topics such as the weather, adapting to the client's budget, to the events that take place in the city where one lives, and so on.

3. What are some changes that you have noticed in the fashion industry in Honduras?


I wish i had the help of social networks and the internet 20 years ago, since that would have made things easier. Social media has brought to the spotlight the hidden talent of many. In social networks, we make ourselves known. For example, years ago there was a lot of talent, but you did not know how to spread the word around it in any other way than through family or friends. Whether we like it or not, bloggers have come to showcase fashion. About 5 years ago people were ashamed to say something was made in Honduras. But not now, now people stress that the clothes are made by some (Honduran) designer and 10 years ago that was inconceivable. This has improved (the fashion scene) incredibly, there were no fashion shows, - there was no such platform; now there are several projects throughout the year where people can exhibit their designs. Photography has also evolved, and that goes hand in hand with fashion. Now there are a lot of fashion photographers, who did not exist before. Although we still have a lot to do, we have taken good steps.



4. Out of all your projects, are there any that you feel most proud of?

Without realizing it, I believe that your own clientele is the one who helps you. I love that people take me very much into account in regards to wedding dresses. I never imagined going down that road, so that makes me feel proud because it is the most important date for a woman, it is a moment that lasts for a lifetime, and being acknowledged during that time is very special. Each wedding dress I make makes me proud because when I see the bride who comes to my workshop come out in her dress, she cries when she tries it on. It's the most beautiful part of my career, to be able to make someone happy and be part of such an important time in a woman’s life.

5. How would you describe your designs?

They are sensual without turning into sexy, since I do not think that a woman should look vulgar in order to be noticed. My cuts are clean, simple, but elegant and I always try to make the garment look fine, regardless of the budget.

6. How has your work evolved?

As fashion is changing one has to be updated, in terms of cuts, materials and design, one can’t afford to stay behind. At this moment I feel that I have already found my personal touch, which is one of the most difficult things to find, that whenever people look at a design, they say "it is or it seems to be from Marysabel Medina", and they already associate it with me.

7. Do you have any fascination/current obsessions that influence your work?

I live enchanted by the Elie Saab’s embroideries - the fabrics - I admire the craft work they do. I feel identified with them because their lines are also simple, although the fabrics are very luxurious, their cuts are effortless. Carolina Herrera also inspires me a lot, she is a classic woman, super elegant - her dresses have a modern touch but they look classic at the same time. I do not like fads, when there’s a glancing hype; I like fashion that lasts. So I’m inspired by those types of designers.


8. What is the greatest lesson you have learned along the way of your professional life?

Always try to focus on the areas of ​​responsibility and discipline. One can obtain good reputation and also bad reputation, only that the bad reputation spreads faster than the good reputation. So I try to take care of my responsibility with the costumer, to do things on time, to change the things that I do not like. I try to be faithful to my brand and the things I'm doing.

9. What’s your advice for young designers?

Start from below, start from learning to attach a button. Fashion is not top-to-bottom, because many want to start from the top, with collections and such, but the most important thing to do is start from knowing the work, feel the taste of every detail. Fashion is not only the glamor of the catwalks; fashion is a very sacrificial and delicate work. So you have to know the work that starts from the bottom, to evaluate each garment and value the work of their teammates. I also encourage them to follow their dreams as they learn and develop their creativity and their own ideas.

Credits:
Model: Yusaira Valladares
Hair and Make Up: Josselin Cardona
Photography: Hilary Romero
Production: Amy Campos,
Production on site: Luis Angel Murillo
Styling: Yusaira Valladares
Location: Paz Camping, Playa Negra, Amapala





No comments:

Post a Comment